St. Martin’s Press “New Adult” Contest:Sponsored by #YAlitchat
St. Martin’s Press is actively looking for great, new, cutting edge fiction with protagonists who are slightly older than traditional YA and can appeal to a younger adult audience. Since twenty-somethings are devouring YA, St. Martin’s Press is seeking fiction with a YA sensibility that can be published and marketed as adult; kind of an older YA or “new adult.”
They are hoping to find what they’re looking for from the pool of #YAlitchat writers on twitter! I’m personally thrilled that they’ve recognized the talent among us and to be a part of this amazing endeavor.
The contest begins Monday, November 9 and ends Friday, November 20, 2009. Submissions will be taken online and read by JJ of the St. Martin’s Press editorial department and Georgia McBride, Founder and Host of #YAlitchat!
St. Martin’s Press “New Adult” Contest Submission Rules
1. One submission per author.
2. All works must be complete, edited, proofed and ready for submission upon request by St. Martin’s Press
3. Protagonist must be at least 18 years old though early 20′s. However, age of protag is not as important as overall story and appeal to adult market.
4. Submission must include author first name, valid email address, 2-3 sentence hook/pitch and first paragraph of story ONLY. Any additional content will be discarded.
5. Please only post submissions on submissions page. If you have a question, please let me know and I will do my best to get it answered for you on my blog or via email.
6. Please read interview with JJ, Editorial Assistant from St. Martin’s Press prior to submitting your work. In it are specific guidelines and details pertaining to what they are seeking to acquire.
How it Works
Submissions will be reviewed by the Editorial Department at St. Martin’s Press and Georgia McBride, Founder and Host of #Yalitchat. Based on the criteria defined by St. Martin’s Press; submissions are assessed and if we are interested in seeing more, authors will be contacted via the email provided in their submission post and a partial (first fifty pages) of your manuscript will be requested. If we request the first fifty pages, and it falls in the middle of a chapter, please round down or up as needed.
Your manuscript should be edited, proofed and ready for submission upon request. If the editorial team at St. Martin’s Press would like to see more of your manuscript after reading your partial, they will request the remainder of your manuscript. Please make sure that your manuscript is properly formatted, spell-checked and ready to go.
Winners in this “contest” are those who submit and are asked to have their manuscript reviewed for consideration by St. Martin’s Press. Ideally, we would all go on to be offered a book deal, but that is not realistic. The goal is to give as many #Yalitchat writers an opportunity to have their work considered by this great publisher as possible. In doing so, we all win.
St. Martin’s Press is giving away copies of P.C. and Kristin Cast’s latest HOUSE OF NIGHT book to the “first, second, and third-place” winners. That is, authors with novels/concepts that they feel are the most interesting/right for them. The book is TEMPTED, paranormal YA.
St. Martin’s Press does not guarantee to publish the material requested and cannot be held liable for a book published through St. Martin’s Press with similar content to any submission from the “New Adult” Contest sponsored by #YAlitchat.